Monday, October 10, 2005

What to say?

I'm div3. w00t!

I bought a new computer the other day. It's in the mail. w00t!

I emptied out half my bank account to do it, though. So that fucking sucks.

Spent a great weekend at home with Sam and his new babe, Christie, although it's more of a temporary, have-fun-kinda-thing between them since Sam is going out to Ohio soon.

Man, Ohio. Fuck you, Bob Taft.

Noam Chomsky speaks at Hampshire on Tuesday night. Awesome.

I cut myself shaving today. First time in...years. 5 years, maybe? Long time.

My div3 is, I think, going to look at the obligation of states to integrate non-citizen and immigrant populations into their polity. Why should states do these things? Are there merely political considerations that should be accounted for in integration, or do states have a larger ethical and moral responsibility to integrate? What is a state, or a nation, or a nation-state, and what does it mean? What does the idea 'an American' mean? A 'Brit?' What is a national or cultural identity and how important are these things to the considerations of a state?

How does one factor in real world issues? For example, Britain after the July 7th bombings - how did this affect race relations in Britain?

Back up a step. I'm not focusing on race. I'm focusing on non-citizen and immigrant populations, it just so happens that most of the time, these lines are also drawn along the color lines. Can we continue? Good.

Recently, a racial watchdog in Britain said the country was 'sleepwalking towards segregation.' What does this mean for the future of integration in Britain, and Europe? Certainly, July 7th contributed to this, but did the lack of integration lead to July 7th? Will integration in the future prevent another July 7th, or will July 7th prevent future integration?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home